Wednesday, August 08, 2007

A Note on Grammar

For quite a few months I typed my documents with the grammar checker turned on. Whenever grammar checker told me to change something, I did my darnedest to do it.

Actually, grammar checkers can be down right tyrannical. Sometimes I would paste text from an acknowledged master of the English language into a document and the grammar checker would recommend butchering the sentences. That ought to be a warning.

The really bad part of it was that I felt as though my high school English teacher was looking over my shoulder all the time. I stopped being me when I wrote. I couldn't say stuff like shitfire, fingerfuck, or fuckstick!

I ain't using grammar checkers anymore. If I lapse into the passive voice, then tough shit. I'll keep Strunk and White handy for those times when I feel self conscious about my writing.

But I ain't using grammar checkers anymore. We'll all just have to deal with it in our own way.

2 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Ah yes, grammar checkers really pounce on the passive voice, and if you use "which" they suggest "that" and visa versa.

 
At 8:33 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I always try to use that unless it sounds blatantly wrong. When which must do, I get confused about the punctuation. So, generally, I throw in a comma because it looks cute. However, I get so confused. Two years of Latin and a mighty fine high school English class education were, apparently, wasted on me.

But I ain't using grammar checker any more.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home