Sunday, August 05, 2007

Easy and not too fancy

I have, naturally, been spending some time setting up my new computer the way I want it. Here's how it's going.

I have been trying OpenOffice, a competitor against MS Office. It fits my simple needs nicely. Open Office is free; I won't buy the expensive MS Office.

Connecting the Apple email client to Google mail and Google notifier was easy. In the past, I never was able to connect MS Outlook to email, not even MSN mail.

The Mac version of the Firefox Browser was easy to install. It looks, feels, and works exactly like the Windows version.

I like the Safari browser too although it does not have all the features Firefox has when using Blogger.

I have had some trouble syncing my iPhone with iTunes, but that is because of my unfamiliarity with both.

I found a free anitvirus scanner, ClamXav. Trend Micro has a version for Mac of their Housecall Internet scanner that runs very quickly.

So much for the basics. And you know State Street; we ain't too fancy.

4 Comments:

At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great, Lynn. You have set up your MacBook almost exactly like I have, and it works like a dream. Are you sure you'll be OK with OpenOffice? I bought the MS Office software (at the Apple Store on Michigan Ave!) and have two extra license numbers. I could send it to you through the mail, and you could return it - let me know your address if you're interested).

Since you also have a camera you will like the neat iPhoto program. You plug in your camera and the Mac just starts downloading your pictures. You don't even need to install the software that comes with the camera. Since we take a LOT of pics when traveling this is really easy. Btw here are the first few from your hometown. Many more to come:

http://flickr.com/photos/hanneorla/sets/72157601176684674/

It's good idea to spoil yourself with profits from gambling. I don't gamble, but invest a lot and use the same self-gratification trick.

Here's a good place for "switchers":

http://www.myfirstmac.com/

Keep posting.

Orla

 
At 1:21 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Orla,

Thanks for the offer of the extra MS Office license. That is very generous. I will keep trying OpenOffice. If it does not work out, I will let you know before my trial MS Office runs out. My email address is lynn.rutherford@gmail.com.

I have already uploaded pictures from my camera and started to organize them. Very slick and easy.

Thanks for the links to your pictures. I will check them out right away.

Thanks for the other link too.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OOps, I forgot. But you have probably already figured it out:

If you want the "right click" that PC users often miss, just use to fingers at the same time on the MacBook touchpad.

PS: I meant your post address (like a street and building :-)) since I'll have to send the installation disc snail mail. Let me know when your trial period is up (in 16-17 days?)

Orla

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Orla,

I thought about MS Office. I don't need a copy. OpenOffice more than meets my needs. I am sure you have friends or colleagues who can make much better and more use of it than me.

Thanks for your kind and generous offer though.

Lynn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home