Thursday, May 24, 2007

From where does the pride of certain Christians come from?

One of the things perplexing me about certain Christians is how proud and congratulatory they are about their beliefs or newfound faith. When I slid into religious skepticism from being a Christian, I felt no such exaltation or elation. I matched the propositions of Christianity and religion in general against religious skepticism and arrived at the conclusion that religious skepticism had much the better arguments for its propositions. It was no big deal. I was relieved that I had resolved for the moment some doubts and conjectures, but that was about it.

Of course, as a religious skeptic, the belief in prodigies and miracles that attend religious belief mystify me now, but I am not talking about that.

I can see where if someone proved a difficult mathematics theorem one might feel proud of having done so. Yet religious faith and belief are so mundane, ordinary, and common I cannot understand why people feel that they have come to some radical conclusion of which they should be proud. The child is rightly proud the first time she ties her shoes by herself, but afterwards it is no big thing.

Given the banal ordinariness of religious faith, I do not see why one should be anymore proud of it than say walking about the world on a normal day.

From whence does this pride come from when one is running with the pack and doing what many others are mindlessly doing?

2 Comments:

At 6:26 PM, Blogger Orla Schantz said...

Yes, religious faith is so mind-numbing banal that it must spend all its energy on elaborate ceremony, impressive buildings, quaint rituals, showy performance, and voodoo antics to prop up its shaky foundations.

The pride you speak of is of course nothing more than trembling insecurity dressed up as misguided obstinacy, bordering on arrogance.

Oh, the energy it must take to keep up this charade! Whew!!

I get exhausted just imagining it.

Orla

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think I know of what you speak. The assuredness and enthusiasm of new converts an be disconcerting. I'm not sure that I would label it as pride, however — but I can understand why one would.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home