Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reading Mathematics

Reading mathematics is not conducive to generating ideas to write about on this blog. During the past week, I have been reading Needham’s Visual Complex Analysis. The book presents one variable complex analysis emphasizing geometric intuition over formal proof. It fits well with my current interest in geometry and my need for a basic refresher in complex analysis. In fact, the book is stunningly beautiful, but I will no go into that.

You can classify people into two broad groups: those who do not care about mathematics and those who do. Those who do not care most likely stopped reading this post in the first paragraph. Those who care are probably laughing over a geezer studying something as elementary as one variable complex analysis. I know what they are thinking: come on, Lynn, everybody knows that stuff.

Be that as it may. When winter comes, my thoughts turn towards mathematics. Mathematics aesthetically appeals to me. I do not have any other explanation for the fascination. Then there are the notebooks I have created over the years summarizing what I have learned and written in Lynn-speak.

Lynn-speak: a nasty language that over generalizes and runs rough shod over details. I am overly fond of it for no good reason. I really ought to refine it one of these days.

1 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

You are what you think others are thinking about you. Without others, no one can even be a human.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home