Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Independent thinking

I once took one of those Internet quizzes that is supposed to tell you what your personality is. I was required to pick an abstract painting from a group of abstract paintings. Once that was done, I was told I was independent, unfettered, and unconventional. I was pleased since it fit the false image I had of myself as a rebel bad boy. The fact that I spent my career in corporate America gave the lie to the notion.

However, I often delude myself by believing I am an independent thinker. Independent thinking is an arduous and dangerous chore not well suited to my lazy work habits. Blind and bland conformity to a received orthodoxy might fit me better.

My corporate days created a lot of tension and frustration since it seemed I was always struggling between conformity and rebellion. However, the corporate world added much needed discipline and structure to my life, which most likely would have been spent making idle speculations such as this.

Today's resolution is to work harder at being an independent thinker.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home