Monday, May 15, 2006

Google searching for the economic causes of illegal immigration and illegal employment practices

President Bush is set to speak about immigration to the nation tonight. My expectations are not high, not because it is President Bush speaking, but because, by all accounts, he will be delivering the consensus opinion we've already heard from Republicans and Democrats so far this year.

Let's revisit a basic fact. People from Mexico are willing to take the risk of entering the United States illegally to find work. Americans are willing to take the risk of illegally hiring them. That might indicate that there is some fundamental economic cause of these twin events.

However, when I Googled the news for illegal immigration, NAFTA, and economic consequences, I didn't find much discussion in the news outlets about what fundamental economic events might be causing illegal immigration and illegal employment practices.

I remain ignorant about economic cause, effect, and consequences, but it appears I am not alone. I suppose I'll have to work much harder at finding meaningful analysis, although I suspect I already know a good part of it. I'll reserve judgment until I am better informed.

3 Comments:

At 7:40 AM, Blogger beatroot said...

Bush's little speech, to me, looked like he was trying to have his Republican cake and eat it. Tough on illegals but careing at the same time. Send the troops in but give them passports.

That was a speech, not for illegals, but for Republica voters in the elections this fall.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

beatroot,

It all went as advertised as far as I could tell.

 
At 3:17 PM, Blogger Kalmi said...

Its is scary to see this post come up first when searching for:
economic causes of illegal employment

 

Post a Comment

<< Home