Monday, March 27, 2006

Consistency and Imperfection

Writing something and publishing it for public scrutiny offers the chance to display the consistency of one’s beliefs and thoughts. People who publish much and remain consistent deserve admiration.

What about the other folks who don’t always display rigorous consistency in their beliefs as expressed in their writing? Well, events and times change. Ideas and arguments change along with changed circumstances. Consistency fetters creativity and thought in this case. Fairness requires we forgive inconsistency.

Human nature causes problems with consistency. We say we believe something in all honesty, for we consciously do believe it. Nonetheless, our unconscious beliefs, the ones to which we have no direct access, cause problems with consistency. We say things without knowing we do not really believe them. We would all be dead should we consciously process all our beliefs and the actions deriving from them. Thinking and acting swiftly has survival value.

Unconscious beliefs do not make liars of us. However, they have a nasty habit of making us inconsistent. That is merely to say human nature is not perfect. But we already know about the imperfection of human nature in all its glorious aspects.

7 Comments:

At 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I commented earlier but it didn't show up. Darn! In sum, terrific post. I too think consistency is difficult and admirable. Your post also made me think about those who deliberately deploy inconsistencies to protect their devious machinations.

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Jodi,

"... those who deliberately deploy inconsistencies to protect their devious machinations."

I really like that as a category too.

 
At 10:16 AM, Blogger mikevotes said...

Thanks for the nice words over at my place, I will happily reciprocate the link.

Mike

 
At 11:17 AM, Blogger -epm said...

Consistency can be a virtue... or a mental disorder. It depends. :)

 
At 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gotta include 'hobgoblins of little minds' but I disagree with this because it is so difficult to be consistent and to recognize this difficulty, to accept its challenges, to confront the deadlocks to which it can lead....

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Jodi & epm,

I know my own writing often displays an inexcusable laziness and inconsistency.

I have to agree with Jodi's point about the challenge required to arrive at consistent arguments and positions.

Both of you are much more consistent than I am. It gives me something to aspire to.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger -epm said...

Both of you are much more consistent than I am.

Step away from the long-neck, my friend. You're talking crazy talk. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home