Thursday, March 23, 2006

A Theft

I finished reading Nick Hornby’s Fever Pitch, a book about his life long obsession with the Arsenal football team. Now, it’s on to Franklin Foer’s How Soccer Explains the World: an unlikely theory of globalization.

Football, as you can tell, has stolen my mind. The theft pleases, yet also instructs. Sports tend to parallel and intensify modern economic, political, and cultural issues such as racism.

My time watching football and learning about it is not entirely wasted while I admit I lack rigorous justification for it.

2 Comments:

At 6:34 AM, Blogger beatroot said...

I read Fever Pitch about ten years ago. Really good - and much much better than that stupid movie!

Strange how a book about the Arsenal of old (boring Arsenal!!) could soooo interesting.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

beatroot,

I really enjoyed the book. It was definitely better than the movie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home