Saturday, March 25, 2006

Just another Friday night

Friday night. This time I play it sneaky--just for a goof. I get to the local bar about two hours after all the other folks who drink there regularly. I plop my geezer ass amongst them. In a magnanimous gesture, I buy everyone a round. After that, everybody buys me rounds—including the bartenders. This goes on all night, so I save a lot of money.

A woman sits across the bar with her boyfriend. He must be about my age. He watches the basketball game. They don’t talk. She obviously does not want to be sitting in a dark smoky bar on Friday night while being ignored. It looks like one of those deals where he would rather be out with the guys getting drunk and watching the basketball games without her.

I occasionally glance at her. We make immediate eye contact each time because she is already staring at me.

I love her haircut. It fits her face very well. I’m slightly smitten.

The whole exercise means nothing. She is with the guy she loves. She knows she is being treated like shit, but that is just the way it goes sometimes.

I will wake in the morning and the first image in my mind will be her.

Everybody I know leaves in a drunken stupor. I have spent relatively nothing on drinks. I drink one more beer and a shot of Maker’s Mark before I leave.

Now, I’m home blogging. Sigh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home