Wednesday, December 14, 2005

I started rereading Marx's Capital volume 1 this past weekend. I read it over ten years ago. My mind was not up to the task at the time. I was distracted by other things even though I did take notes on what I felt was the central argument. I still have the notes, but I'm darned if I can find them.

This time around I am enjoying the book. Marx is a very agreeable writer. I like the way he painstakingly lays out his argument. It is nice to read a book critically and at my leisure.

I've always enjoyed reading the classics. I expect I never have gotten beyond them in my thinking. I have been making lists of organized reading programs that mainly consist of classics I have read before. My beliefs and my life have changed quite a bit during the past four years. I look forward to discovering what my new reaction to certain books will be.

After I finish reading Capital, I want to reread the classic texts of political philosophy from Plato to the Twentieth Century. After that I would like to tackle political philosophy of the Twentieth Century, but I don't have a list made for it yet. I welcome suggestions.

I hope I don't die too soon. I still have many books to read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home