Sunday, December 11, 2005

Ideas

Deborah Soloman interviews Peter Watson, author of Ideas: A History of Thought and Invention, From Fire to Freud, in the NYT Magazine.
Soloman: I find I seldom have ideas away from my desk.

Watson: That is because ideas come from other ideas. I used to sleep with a piece of paper by my bed. But I never had an idea in bed. The other thing I noticed is that when you are out to dinner and you have a good idea and write it down, the next day when you're sober, it's terrible.

Soloman: Perhaps if you went out less, you would have better ideas.

Watson: I think the interesting thing in life is not having an idea, but realizing it.
I always wondered if that happened to anybody else besides me.

2 Comments:

At 11:18 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think ideas sometimes have a limted shelf life. Sometimes, I'll write down an idea for a blog. It would probably work well if I wrote it right then. But when I find the list again later, the idea generally seems cold to me.

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Anvilcloud,

I carry around a few blank postcards in my back pocket--the free ones with advertising on them you find in the postcard dispensers. I write down the odd thought on them. By the time I look at them again I can only wonder what the heck I was thinking.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home