Thursday, December 08, 2005

First Snow in Chicago

Chicago received its first accumulation of snow today. Traffic was horrible downtown as a result.

I recalled, while sitting in the local bar celebrating the annual employee appreciation Christmas Party and looking out the window at the snow, a night several years ago when the first snow storm of the winter hit Chicago. I was working in Oakbrook, a suburb 15 miles west of where I live. When I left work, I spent over an hour in traffic traveling the three miles to the highway leading to downtown. I spent about two hours traveling the last 12 miles on the expressway.

You can always find something to be happy about if you try. I was glad, without even trying, that I did not have to drive anywhere tonight in Chicago.

May all your drives be mercifully as short as possible.

5 Comments:

At 8:58 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

We're getting some snow here now to add to the light covering that we had, but I don't think it's going to amount to much.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

AC,

It is back to cold and clear here. I won't be building a snowman today.

There are still no deer sightings on State Street although I did rub elbows with a couple at the bar last night.

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to hit a deer while you are riding your bicycle? Be careful in those woods up there during the Spring thaw.

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I know two people who have hit deer in their vehicles. It can cause a lot of damage -- to the deer too.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

I was out of town at a business meeting once. We were waiting for a co-worker who was to be leading the meeting. He was driving to the meeting and when he did not show up we became concerned.

He finally called in and said he hit a deer while driving full speed on the highway. He said he would be in as soon as he got a rental car.

A few weeks later he brought in pictures of what used to be his car. It was so bad he decided to junk the car and get a new one.

When I see those deer crossing signs on the highway it gets my attention even though I don't slow down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home