Saturday, March 12, 2005

Don't Let Your Angst Make You Maudlin or Bitchy

I reread Heidegger’s “What Is Metaphysics?” at midnight last night. I could not sleep, so I figured a little Heidegger was just the antidote. The exercise had the opposite effect. A profound feeling of angst roiled me. I was immersed in Nothingness. I could not sleep. I wrote until after four in the morning. Now, it’s Saturday and I am exhausted. I have been playing “Get Yer Ya-Ya’s Out” by the Stones all morning to raise my energy level, but once the music stops I feel like home made shit.

I’ve noticed that winter is starting to take its toll on people. I see people writing reminiscences and memoirs in places where I would not have expected to see them. I see people turning real bitchy about TV shows, expecting more from them than possible or desired. Even devout Christians who feel rejected by their loved ones are only half heartedly relieving their disappointment through scripture and prayer.

Beware. Angst is infectious.

OK, here is my new plan: read “New Science”, Giambattista Vico, read “Elements of the Philosophy of Right”, G. W. F. Hegel, reread “Economic and Philosophical Manuscripts”, Karl Marx, and reread “Interpretation of Dreams”, Sigmund Freud.

I hope they will cheer me, not that Heidegger is not joyous. I feel I understand Heidegger, but that is most likely a novice mistake on my part I should guard against.

Oh, for a sunny hot Summer day at the baseball park.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home