Saturday, March 05, 2005

Heidegger, Bulls, Beer, and Grammar

I was going to read Heidegger’s “Letter on Humanism” last night. I did not start it because I thought I had better reread Sartre’s “Existentialism Is a Humanism” to put it into context. I could not start that either. I was distracted from it by thoughts about the Heideggerian vocabulary.

Instead I drank Budweiser while watching the Bulls game and jotting notes about Heidegger’s vocabulary—Bulls, beer, and philosophy, yes.

When the game was over, I started thinking about my mental program for composing fiction. I decided that in addition to the layers of sentence grammar and fictional grammar, I also need a layer for metaphorical grammar. I cannot imagine any other absolute requirements for other layers than these three. I call it a program, but it is a program only in the sense that is something I could train my unconscious mind to do automatically, brilliantly, and audaciously.

It feels good to be crazy, yet have the outline of a new project determined.

I have to go back to drifting and dreaming about Being now, and unfortunately more mundane matters.

Later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home