Monday, March 14, 2005

Destination Unknown

I spent most of the day working on my latest novel, the one I fondly call, “my totally fucked up piece of shit.” Not having done so well at the exercise, I took off for the local bar at 6:30, hoping to be around some folks in a happy mood. Not many people were there. I sat between a guy who spent a terrible weekend with friends in Massachusetts and a woman whose mother died early this morning. No place to run, no place to hide. It made working all day on a novel with lots of sex and Angelic Aliens in it seem absolutely joyous.

The only scenes in the novel I like so far are the ones when some of the characters discover they have been having sex with an Angelic Alien. It’s funny how people’s beliefs change when they have been confronted with the reality up close and personal.

The other part I like about the novel is that at the end the hero winds up in a dark and smoky bar drinking Budweiser and watching the Cubs beat the White Sox in the seventh game of the World Series. Don’t worry, there’s one more section that ties the thing together in a stunning way, so I didn’t give away the whole ending.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home