Sunday, February 11, 2007

Certain Things: Philosophy and Sex

This is already another day of reading. For someone like me, who is not required to read professionally, reading is a self-indulgent activity. It has always been that way.

However, if I were to say, I will not indulge myself, it would be like saying, I will never have sex again. I am not ready.

I am reading Wittgenstein’s On Certainty today. The question of certainty has haunted me for several years. My opinions about many things have changed radically during that time; I search for justification.

I am struggling to prevent Wittgenstein from becoming a philosophical idol just as I am struggling to prevent a woman I know from becoming a sexual idol. Maybe, those are not proper struggles—or maybe they are foolish struggles. One needs to acquiesce at times especially when the struggle causes too much tension.

I grow old and fool myself into thinking I will quit some pursuits. I really have to stop doing that. One should read philosophy and screw for as long as one can.

I wonder if I have arrived at some certain things.

2 Comments:

At 5:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lynn,

YES. - maybe they are foolish struggles

There's nothing wrong with having idols, no matter what age you are.

In fact, one of the pleasures is having them and sometimes abandoning them, and creating new ones.

It just occurred to me that philosophy is about finding meaning, and sex is about having found it.

Or maybe the other way round.

Keep searching.

Orla Schantz

 
At 12:54 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Orla,

One reaches a catharsis at the oddest times and for what reasons I have yet to fathom.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home