Monday, January 29, 2007

Wittgenstein on philosophy and simile

During the past ten years, I have been enamored of the idea that we think metaphorically—including our philosophical thinking. You can imagine my delight when I came across this Wittgenstein passage in Culture and Value.

It is sometimes said that a man’s philosophy is a matter temperament, and there is something in this. A preference for certain similes could be called a matter of temperament and it underlies far more disagreements than you might think.

There is hardly anything more gratifying to me than having my suspicions confirmed by a genius.

1 Comments:

At 5:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, Lynn, we philosophize metaphorically.

Your own six lines in this post prove it. You are in the realm of eroticism, as in "enamored" (amour), "delight" and "gratifying". In fact, you describe the predictable phases of attraction, orgasm, and fulfillment.

The joy (!?) of reading Wittgenstein and, for me especially, Deleuze is precisely the richness of imagery.

But Plato is good, too.

Orla Schantz

 

Post a Comment

<< Home