Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Discipline

I have been using Blogger for over two years. It possesses the fifth cardinal virtue; it's free. And who does not love and take advantage of that virtue at every opportunity?

But Blogger goes through extended periods of outage and instability that sometimes make it frustrating to use. The problems have all the symptoms of poor project management, change management, and maintenance discipline. They need some folks who know how to do those kinds of things properly.

Things will go much better for them when they add some discipline to their efforts.

2 Comments:

At 9:14 PM, Blogger curtis said...

It strikes me that many of their problems stem from poor implementation of good ideas. For example, they tend to scale their operation (adding new servers) in huge chunks, and this often causes huge problems with the service. I don't know if better management would help that or if they are just growing too fast.

But that's why I switched to Wordpress. It has yet to be down once.

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Curtis,

I don't disagree that their intentions are good or all for the best. But I think the point you are making is what I am talking about. They should plan for their growth and not make their clients pay the price when they make a mistake.

Wordpress is calling me like a siren's song.

Take care,

Lynn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home