Sunday, February 05, 2006

The Nature of Things

The brouhaha over the Danish cartoons and embassy burnings has left me rather cold. I am having an Epicurus moment about the whole thing.

Being a follower of Epicurus I can have my cake and eat it too. I can believe that scientific inquiry explains the natural world. I can also believe in the existence of the gods.

Epicurus had the right idea.

The gods exist, but they do not intervene in human affairs. In fact, the gods are ignorant of humans and human affairs.

Science and philosophy explain the natural world since there is no supernatural intervention by gods to help with the explanation.

The gods exist, but they have nothing to do with me. It is all the false beliefs people hold about the gods that affect me. That is worrisome enough in the era of mass destruction. Still, I get a little psychological relief many others can’t aspire to.

I think I’ll spend the day reading Lucretius. I feel sorry for all the other folks who aren’t Epicureans on days like these.

5 Comments:

At 12:56 PM, Blogger -epm said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger -epm said...

The straightest path to evil deeds is paved by men professing unerring knowledge of the will of God.

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

epm,

I agree. The problem these days is that the stakes grow ever higher.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger -epm said...

The only reason why we think the stakes are higher "these days" is because we live in these days. :)

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

epm,

I think I see your point. Sudden death because of one's religious beliefs has always been with us. It does not matter which era or what methods. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home