Saturday, February 04, 2006

Certainty outside Fourth Presbyterian Church on Michigan Avenue

Let us say I am walking past the Fourth Presbyterian Church on Michigan Avenue. Sunday services have just ended. I find myself in a crowd of people who are talking about the sermon. They speak of events in the dim past, miracles, what one ought to believe, and what one ought to do. Do I care? Most likely not. I have heard most of it before.

What interests me is the tone of their voices. The tone hints that these people are certain about their beliefs. Their beliefs are justified, true, and beyond doubt.

I walk past that same spot on Monday in a crowd. People express fear and doubt by the tones of their voices. But for the present moment I walk next to people who are certain about their beliefs.

The tone of their voices catches my ear.

2 Comments:

At 12:57 PM, Blogger -epm said...

Great poem.

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

epm,

Many thanks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home