Thursday, November 17, 2005

Cuts like a knife

I get depressed when the days grow short and day light savings time ends. I wake early each morning. The additional early morning light does not console me.

Today is the first cold day in Chicago. The high temperature is predicted to be around 29 F. I don’t like the cold air either.

Why do I live here? Inertia. Inertia has been one of the controlling forces of my life. Newton’s first law of motion applies to the psyche too for some people like me.

Summer in Chicago enchants me. I tell myself I will break the spell the next time summer returns. I am powerless to do it.

Two months ago the bright blue sky was a warm embrace. It cuts like a knife today.

5 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger -epm said...

Chicago. What a town.

Here in the east, Chicago makes the news two times a year: in the summer to report of people dying of heat exhaustion, and in the winter to report of people freezing to death. Spring must be nice though... :)

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Spring is disappointing. It takes the lake so long to thaw that you don't get as many warm days as in other parts of the midwest.

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Edie said...

So I suppose you have seen this AccuWeather forecast which has the oil speculators jumping? Colder than average temperatures, etc., etc.

Chicago has a uniquely entrenched art scene. I've been looking into the graduate progams there, though, and have been disappointed by my options. The lake is beautiful when it isn't blowing you away with cold air.

 
At 1:20 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Edie -

I just looked at the AccuWeather forecast. Ouch.

I enjoy reading your blog everyday. It's interesting, eclectic, well researched, and well written. I learned about it at I cite.

The art scene in Chicago has a lot going for it. I keep thinking there is a better place to live, but have not found one that suits me better except for these winters.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger -epm said...

I think I've solve my heating problems...

I can't go into details, but it involves effigies of oil executives and a box of wooden matches. I'll let you know how it goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home