Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Haughty Indolence

I slept reasonably long and well last night. The White Sox crushing 14-2 win over the Red Sox yesterday pretty much diverted my mind from other things. I need that every now and then. My 'other things' are often stupid. Of course, the residue of sadness from my beloved Cubs performing below expectations once again this year, regardless of the reasons, colors my world a dull gray. Enjoy the sport you love anyway I tell myself. Like all idiots who enjoy baseball I try to wax lyrical and pensive, and find in the sport a metaphor for life itself. It's a vice that should be avoided.

I've already read the philosophy books I put on my Autumn reading list. I read philosophy too quickly these days. The books added to my confusion rather than helped me answer questions. The reading was a prism breaking the light into irreconcilable colors. None of my most firmly entrenched beliefs were shattered or even fractured.

I often confuse my old age with my haughty indolence. I am bored enough with both that I might become young again. I might start some projects where I can succeed. That will require some no-nonsense grounding in reality which is not my strong suit. Well intentioned actions are always difficult for me.

3 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Now they're up two. But the big news from a Canadian perspective is that the Black Hawks lost the first game of a meaningless and interminable season schedule. Silly, aren't we?

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

AC,

It'll be interesting to see how the hockey fans respond after last year's missed season. The Blackhawk fans have fallen by the wayside because the management hasn't been much interested in building a good team. About 15 years ago you'd see a lot of fans in their Blackhawk jerseys before the game. You don't see many anymore.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Hockey will always be big here. It runs in our icy veins. Actually, I have become somewhat of a non-fan over the years, but I did watch the last playoffs, and I am encouraged by the rule changes. What ever happened to Bobby Hull, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home