Wednesday, June 08, 2005

I Think Metaphorically. So What?

What does it mean as a practical matter that I think in metaphors? Not much.

My metaphors are mostly unconscious. I cannot know what they are unless I discover them through rigorous scientific investigation. That is something I am not equipped to do. Even if I could through prodigious research catalogue all the metaphors in all the minds at the present moment, those minds create new metaphors by the bushel everyday. I would have to research all minds all the time to keep the catalogue up to date.

As a practical matter, I am stuck with the metaphors I use and create without being aware what they are, and how I am using them.

Metaphor by its very nature creates yet another transcendental infinity, a border which I cannot cross into the realm of certainty.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home