Friday, March 18, 2005

Reading

I started rereading Terry Eagleton's "Literary Theory" yesterday. I read it 15 year's ago. I am enjoying my second time around more than I did then. I suppose 15 years of reading and thinking make the difference. I suffered several crises in my life 16 years ago, so my head might not have been in the ballgame.

I bull forward with Heidegger. After 700 pages of his various works, I find myself understanding and agreeing with much he has to say. My strategy for grasping the whole rather than stopping to analyze the parts has paid off. I must remember this strategy when reading esoteric philosophy. Concepts and arguments are best learned from repeated exposure in different contexts.

Hegel's "Philosophy of Right" challenges me to a two out of three falls match next, a match I most assuredly will win should I take the challenge.

I love being an independent scholar and thinker. If I could only add erudition to my resume, I'd be the total package.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home