Friday, June 22, 2007

Splash


You believe in god; I do not. I believe in mermaids; you do not. You tell me I must make a leap of faith then I will believe in god. I recommend the same strategy to you regarding your disbelief of mermaids.

Now, I laugh, go to the fridge, grab a beer, and think about now. You have no now except as it relates to a highly speculative set of propositions about a future state after you die. You take comfort in those propositions all the same.

I sip my beer. Darryl Hannah splashes about my mind.

4 Comments:

At 11:17 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Looking at that picture, I believe in the goddess.

 
At 12:04 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Yes, there all kinds of stuff to believe in even if it might not be the case.

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger -epm said...

BURN IN HELL, BLASPHEMER!

I believe in... well, something. Something bigger than me. I think it's part of the human condition, to believe in a reality that exceeds that which we immediately and temporally perceive.

Do I believe in God? I suppose I do... in some form. I'm just not sure I believe in the same God the God Keepers have to sell. Oddly their god seem remarkably like... them. I'm confused which is the creator and which is the created.

I dunno. Maybe God's a Mermaid...

 
At 7:27 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

epm,

One of the nice things I learned recently is that I do not need to give up spirituality along with giving up god. I like the late Robert C. Solomon's definition of spirituality: the thoughtful love of life.

Just about everything is bigger than I am, so I don't need to imagine a god in whom to revere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home