Saturday, April 21, 2007

Get emotional then write down the feeling

I have been working on a play for several months. I decided to plan the thing out before I started writing—something I never do. The work is going horribly. Even though I am an analytical person who enjoys mathematics, I cannot write analytically. I need to tap my emotions and say whatever comes to mind.

I was eating lunch and drinking margaritas with a friend yesterday and he advised me to just sit down and write the play, which I began to do this morning. I felt a great burden lifted from me.

I wish I could tell you what the play is about, but I do not know myself. Jean Paul Sartre, Simone Beauvoir, and Albert Camus are in it. So are a young Frenchwoman and an American reporter. A friend asked me if he could be in it too. That seemed like a good and necessary idea for the story, so he is in it too.

There you have it. I feel good about this play again. We’ll see how long the feeling lasts.

1 Comments:

At 1:30 AM, Blogger janus said...

Even though I am an analytical person who enjoys mathematics, I cannot write analytically. I need to tap my emotions and say whatever comes to mind.

i don't think that writing or speaking analytically comes naturally for many people, if anyone. my guess is that emotions have been with humans longer than analytical reasoning and abstraction, so it would make sense that one way is easier than the other.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home