Thursday, November 02, 2006

Never Forget

On May 2, 2003, President Bush landed aboard the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln. A banner stating “Mission Accomplished” adorned the carrier’s tower.

This is from a CNN story about the event.

ABOARD USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN (CNN) -- From the flight deck of the USS Abraham Lincoln, President Bush announced in a nationally televised address that "major combat operations in Iraq have ended."

"In this battle, we have fought for the cause of liberty, and for the peace of the world. Our nation and our coalition are proud of this accomplishment," Bush told the Navy men and women aboard the warship Thursday.

Bush also made a direct connection between the war in Iraq and the continuing war on terrorism.

"The battle of Iraq is one victory in a war on terror that began on September 11, 2001, and still goes on," Bush said. He then highlighted successes in Afghanistan, citing the construction of roads, hospitals and schools.

But the focus of the speech returned sharply to the connection between Iraq and terrorism.

"The liberation of Iraq is a crucial advance in the campaign against terror," he said. "We have removed an ally of al Qaeda and cut off a source of terrorist funding."


How could he have been that out of touch with reality? The sheer magnitude of his incompetence never ceases to amaze and overwhelm.

4 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Lynn,

I got to your blog through your comment on Larval Subjects which I enjoy, as you seem to do, too.

Tell me more about yourself and your interest in philosophy. Maybe we could strike up a conversation.

Orla Schantz

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

Orla,

I have been interested in philosophy for about forty years. Although I have read many works in the canon and analytic philosophy, I have some big gaps I have been trying to fill. In 1998, I became interested in philosophy of mind. I read papers in that area for several years.

About two years ago, when I started blogging, I became interested in Theory and continental philosophy in general. I have been playing catch up in that area. That has been no easy task, but I keep plugging away.

I am currently reading The Derrida-Habermas Reader, which I am enjoying. I plan to read Deleuze and Guattari’s What is Philosophy? next. My reading is very haphazard.

Larval Subjects, I cite, and similar blogs have been very useful for me and have pointed me in many new directions.

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I have been wondering who Anonymous at Larval Subjects was. I enjoy your comments there.

I would enjoy striking up a conversation on anything you find valuable.

 
At 10:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Lynn,

Thanks for your quick response. It seems we are (more or less) on the same track. Like you I have really enjoyed Jacques Derrida. In fact, my wife and I gate-crashed our way into a seminar with him some years ago, when he was here in Denmark where we live. Even in his 70s he was a strikingly handsome man and at the top of his powers. I was sad to hear about his death, 2-3 years ago.

Like you, I'm a "frumpy geezer", although at 60 I'm still teaching and enjoying it. I'm glad you enjoy my comments on Larval Subjects (although I always sign my name even if I'm anonymous = not having my own blog). I can't keep up with Levi at Larval Subjects. He is an enormously well-read and eloquent young man at 32. He is always stimulating.

You have something to look forward to when you plan to read Deleuze and Guattari’s What is Philosophy? next.

One thing we could discuss is Deleuze's ideas about concept creation, or would you rather wait until you have started reading him?

But what is it about Derrida that fascinates you? We could start there.

I see no point in discussing the current political landscape and upcoming election in the U.S. From your posts I can see we are in total agreement.

All the best,

Orla Schantz

 
At 5:31 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Orla –

What interest me are the limits of forming new ideologies and the possibility of cosmopolitan politics. I am reading the Derrida/Habermas exchanges on that basis right now.

I would like to discuss the What is Philosophy? book with you once I start it. I am sure I will find the discussion very helpful and interesting.

Sincerely,
Lynn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home