Friday, October 13, 2006

I did not meet her in church

Earlier this week, I was talking to a woman when the conversation turned toward religion because she was beginning to read the Bible. She asked me what I believed. I told her I was skeptical of a lot of religious belief. She said that at least I must believe in some higher power. At that point, I knew that if I persisted in engaging in the topic, I would enmesh myself in debating a lot of fuzzy minded new age mumbo jumbo with some Bible thrown in just to confuse matters even more. I told her that if a cab hit and killed me while walking home, I would be nothing more than road kill. That immediately and mercifully ended the discussion.

This post is not about religion. I am not opposed to religion or the wonderful folks who take their faith seriously and find it a positive force in their lives. This is about me feeling superior to her. I have thought about this feeling of superiority more than I would have liked over the past few days and wondered if I should not be ashamed of it. However, I am not ashamed of it because I am superior to her. I care and she is looking for something to make her feel good.

About fifteen years ago, the born again and new age thing was cute. Now, it is like a pop record that people play too much on the jukebox. I am tired of hearing it.

I think I am too much of a polite listener. I listen to too much garbage without calling people out on it. At least, if I called them out they would get the hell away from me, which would be a relief from hearing about their sad miserable lives, which they fucked up in the first place, and how their new spirituality has changed everything for them.

I do not mind people fucking up their lives. We all make mistakes. I am a walking disaster myself. I just wish some people would not whine about it and make up new age/religious fables that are not true just so they can pretend they feel good and avoid their problems.

The part that really pisses me off is that these folks think I am the crazy one.

3 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

The part that really pisses me off is that these folks think I am the crazy one.

So, you're saying that you're not? (Just kidding.)

 
At 10:41 AM, Blogger Lynn said...

anvilcloud -

Now that you mention it I should have said crazier!

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger janus said...

I told her that if a cab hit and killed me while walking home, I would be nothing more than road kill. That immediately and mercifully ended the discussion.

good line. i'll have to remember that one, the next time the bible thumpers stop me on the way to campus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home