Sunday, January 22, 2006

Nowadays it just don't pay to be a good ol' boy

One of the favorite epithets that some on the far right throw at those on the left is that they are limousine liberals. I doubt if they actually believe that about those on the left.

I have an hypothesis that what irks them most are people like me who claim to be on the left.

My favorite attire is shorts and t-shirts in the summer and frayed button fly Levis and sweatshirts in the winter.

My favorite activities are books, bars, Bud, Maker’s Mark whiskey, baseball, betting on sporting events, and being full of shit but not caring.

Like I said, it’s just an hypothesis, and I admitted to being full of shit.

Gettin' tough
Just my luck
I was born in the land of plenty now there ain't enough
Gettin' cold
I've been told
Nowadays it just don't pay to be a good ol' boy

Gettin’ Tough, Steve Earle and Richard Bennett

2 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, Blogger -epm said...

I can relate. Though I don't fit the good ol' boy mold (visually or otherwise) I do own more than one firearm, support hunting and fishing, have several country music CDs in my collection, support the USO and our troops with more than ribbons and words, and drive an old Chevy pick-up truck to the dump on weekends.

I keep my hair short, my face shaved, and don't own a single tie-dyed t-shirt.

Of course I also support stricter gun regulations, and environmental conservation. I hate jingoistic musical pap, people who think putting a $1.95 yellow ribbon-magnet on their car is actually supporting the troops, and SUVs that are more like EAVs (Environmental Assault Vehicles).

....

I was in a limo once, but it was the prom and I was trying to impress a girl. Not sure if that counts as limosine liberal.

 
At 5:04 AM, Blogger Gahrie said...

Limosine Liberals refers to people like Ted Kennedy, John Kerry, John Edwards etc. The term is used to differentiate them from regular liberals like you. It denotes a from of hypocrisy in their class warfare rhetoric and political stance.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home