Saturday, January 21, 2006

"I appreciate your concerns."

There is a rhetorical trick in what is supposed to be persuasive dialogue.

Person A who supports the positions and actions of the party in power concludes his argument by saying, “I appreciate your concerns. It is too bad you are not willing to meet me half way. By the way, we will continue to do things my way.”

Not only has Person B lost the argument, but he is supposed to be so stupid he does not see that it was all about power in the first place.

I spent an interminable number of years in corporate America watching the trick being used. I even became quite good at it myself. Those with a minimal amount of experience soon learned to disregard the ploy. One waited for the train to run off the tracks to prove one’s point. It is far more difficult to lift the train back on the tracks after it has run off rather than steer it in the right direction in the first place. Sometimes the fools who often wield power will have it no other way.

When it comes to events such as the Iraq War, the stakes grow higher. One should be on one’s guard against this trick, and play a little smack down with it. During persuasion and negotiation, half way is about actions and consequences. Politeness is often the biggest subterfuge of all.

2 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger -epm said...

"You're absolutely right. Now let me explain why you're wrong."

This is one of my favorite deflections; disarm your opponent by agreeing with him, then argue why his approach is wrong.

W. doesn't do this often. He usually just rails against all critics. But he recent high-handed smackdown of Democratic (and democratic) war critics has forced him to use this approach. He first extoles the virtues of a "vigorous dialog," then spends the next 10 min. enumerating every criticism that's out of bounds... which, of course, is every criticism.

I think progressives and liberals need to do a better job of using this rhetorical device. Embrace the fact you don't buy in to the dark Republican led vision of a "post 9/11 world." That you are proud to reject 2,200 dead soldiers and 30,000+ dead civilians, while each month marks a new highwater mark for global acts of terror as "being tough on terror."

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger -epm said...

I hate not being able to fix typos in my comments! I feel so stupid.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home