Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Geezer Meditates on Folly

One reaches an age when one realizes some things are no longer possible.

For instance, I know that I will never get to the next level of understanding the Riemann Hypothesis. It makes me a little sad.

Old age, despite its burdens, is supposed to be the age of wisdom. I don't agree with that. If you are not wise before you reach old age, then you never will be.

Yet when I wake in the morning and see the world in its infinite possibilities, I get this elusive feeling I might still grab one of those possibilities.

Folly may have followed me through all my life.

3 Comments:

At 1:15 AM, Blogger Devang said...

I felt the exact same way when I graduated from college, 3 weeks ago. I know after getting a BS degree, It's safe to say I won't get to experiment with things like investment banking, etc...

I told my friends that graduating is sad in this respect, and they had no idea what I was talking about, and told me to drink more. fuckers... all they could see was money really.

Yet when I wake in the morning and see the world in its infinite possibilities, I get this elusive feeling I might still grab one of those possibilities.

Beautifully put.

 
At 7:41 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Devang,

Many congratulations on your graduation!

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Devang said...

Thank you.

My apologies if I sounded self-involved :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home