Monday, November 07, 2005

Geraldine

The supernatural world, the natural world, the beings that populate them, and how they interact with each other can be confusing at times. Here is an example.

I once read a post in Blogland by a woman who claimed that god had brought it about that she met a friend in the grocery store. I remarked to her that since she and her friend lived in the same neighborhood and shopped at the the same grocery it may not have been all that remarkable that they met there after work.

I have always been curious as to how people who claim that supernatural beings intercede in worldly affairs actually recognize when that has happened. I'll have to admit I've never experienced an event that I could reasonably attribute to a supernatural being.

If I believe in free will as an attribute of human beings, things become even more confusing. How does supernatural intervention square with the idea that I choose my actions from my own free will? I am reminded of the old Flip Wilson comedy character Geraldine. When challenged to explain her actions she would reply, "the devil made me do it."

There are a lot of people who believe that supernatural beings cause changes in the natural world on a regular basis. Some of the instances they cite don't seem all that remarkable to me to warrant their belief. Both the science and epistemology of these interventions remain rather sketchy in my mind.

I suppose it is like the old cartoons when it comes to my actions. A devil sits on one shoulder whispering in my ear, and an angel sits on the other whispering contrary advice. I am still free to make my choice between good and evil. Exactly when that happens and how to recognize it remains somewhat foggy in my mind.

Don't bother saying it. Everything is rather foggy in my mind.

I have to go. An angel is telling me I have to drink a couple of beers and read some Kant during lunch. Or is it the devil? If only these supernatural folks would show themselves in their true dress.

If I meet you in the grocery store tonight, let me know how god maneuvered us there at the same time.

1 Comments:

At 4:20 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

I think people give themselves too much credit for the creator of the universe to be so interested in them. Do you know that She even provides parking spaces for some?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home