Monday, July 18, 2005

Persistence

I finished writing my latest novel yesterday morning. I turned a first draft with the germ of a good idea into a novel sentimental, maudlin, and boring. This is the third time I have done it.

I consider it failure on a massive scale, for the opportunity cost for writing these novels is huge. I am reminded of some of my other failures.

I loved long distance running once. In 1982 I achieved personal records in all distances from 10K through half marathon. One of my goals in running was to run a marathon in under 3 hours. Each year I ran a marathon on a flat course the first weekend in November. 1982 was the year I felt I had my goal in reach. So, September and October I trained even harder than usual.

When race day came I changed my previous strategy of starting out slowly and running each successive 10K faster. I went out fast. My strategy was working fine until I hit the ‘wall’ at 20 miles, the first time it ever happened to me. My time was horrible.

The failure weighed heavily on me. I never ran another marathon nor seriously tried to improve my running. I eventually stopped running.

I have all these other ideas for books I’d like to write. My imagination seems on fire this morning with ideas. The question is whether I can afford another failure. I will put the question out of mind today and start writing another book. When August 1 rolls around, I’ll decide whether or not to send out my latest novel.

Persistence is a blessing and curse, for there is no finish line.

P. S. I exercised all seven days last week, and I only ate 3 meals out of 21 outside my diet. Where are they holding the 2104 Olympics?

1 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Blogger Anvilcloud said...

Whether you think it's good or bad, I think it's a huge accomplishment to write a novel. Writing a pithy blog is just about more than I can handle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home