Saturday, April 14, 2007

Aristotle, ethics, fantasy baseball, and romance

I am now managing five fantasy baseball teams. My mornings begin with reviewing my teams, which is taking a lot longer than expected because I am officially a fantasy baseball nut. My priority remains, of course, winning the Pippin’s fantasy league.

The 2007 Baseball Prospectus and Baseball Forecaster sit beside the computer. I am trying to read them both cover to cover to arrive at baseball player values. I should have started over a month ago. Oh well, the season is still young.

Like this crush I have on a woman I know, I need this. Need? OK, want.

Aristotle in his ethics discusses needs versus wants, at least in my interpretation. Needs are the essentials such as food, clothing, shelter, education, etc. Wants are things like playing fantasy baseball and having crushes on women who will not give you the time of day.

If she said she was crazy about me and wanted me to drop fantasy baseball as my current mania, I would skinny it back to the Pippin’s league and let the others languish. If she really loved me, she would not ask me to drop the Pippin’s league. She never will be crazy about me, so I do not need to worry about that. That is too bad, for I am custom made from head to toe, and I am worth it.

Romance and baseball glory are fantasies. They are things we may want, but they are definitely things we do not need. If you have all the things you need, you do not think about them. Your wants take top priority.

It is so strange how that works.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home