Saturday, March 11, 2006

Postcard from Costa Rica

A honey of a day; blue sky; walking around outside without wearing a winter coat; and the sliding glass door to the balcony wide open to let in some air.

I received a postcard from Costa Rica sent by I woman I once knew. We spent a week there several years ago. That is when I learned the thing had come undone.

I was reminded of this passage from Walter Benjamin’s A Berlin Chronicle:
There are people who think they find the key to their destinies in heredity, others in horoscopes, others again in education. For my part, I believe that I should gain numerous insights into my later life from my collection of picture postcards, if I were able to leaf through it again today.

And what of tonight? Study the Presocratics a little, read Eduardo Galeano’s Soccer in Sun and Shadow, listen to the drunken revelers far below in the street, and dream about how pretty Costa Rica might be should I ever wander that way again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home