Thursday, February 23, 2006

Category Theory: a possible tool for philosophy?

As we know, applying mathematical logic and set theory to philosophical problems was all the rage during the twentieth century. With the rise of modern cognitive science we better understand how the mind creates philosophy and mathematics. That understanding has at the least made philosophies based upon logic and set theory problematic.

However, over the past week or so, I have been wondering if applying category theory to philosophical problems might not produce some results. That does no alleviate the need for understanding the metaphors and metonyms underlying category theory, but it might be a useful tool all the same.

3 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Blogger Edie said...

Hi Lynn, I tagged you to answer some questions. They are on my blog. I can't wait to see how you handle them (if you feel like it).

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Devang said...

Philosophy or any other subject, I think the two theories can be applied anywhere (theology, etc). I think category theory is just most realistic (atleast easier to find evidence for), and set theory more ideological. Thus, most arguments I make aren't set theory based. I'm an amateur when it comes to this though...

 
At 9:29 PM, Blogger Lynn said...

Devang,

I will be practicing my category theory this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home