Monday, July 04, 2005

Little Green Notebook

I have this little green notebook that I use to record the odd theorem or calculation related to the Riemann Hypothesis. When I am sitting around, I can take out my little green notebook and play around with numbers and ideas. It’s my new toy, and I am having lots of fun with it. Some of the best toys are the cheapest.

Of course, the best place to start finding the interesting results related to RH is the Internet. You’ll find everything from excellent presentations designed for the interested layman to lecture notes for analytic number theory courses.

I also found an excellent textbook, The Prime Number Theorem by Graham Jameson. It is a model of clarity, presentation, and organization. That does not mean it is easy. The math behind PNT gets hairy in a hurry. But if you are willing to apply a little elbow grease, it is a good place to start given the requisite background in math.

I also recommend The Riemann Hypothesis by Karl Sabbagh, The Music of the Primes by Marcus du Sautoy, and Prime Obsession by John Derbyshire. All of them are written for the non mathematician, and are excellent reads about how high powered math is conducted, and the history of prime number math. Derbyshire’s book contains more math than the other two books, but he explains all the concepts he uses quite well. You can also skip the math that seems too difficult and still have a good read.

Keep on countin' and calculatin'.

1 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, Blogger curtis said...

This is really interesting stuff- thanks for the links to materials- I'll be checking them out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home