Monday, October 11, 2004

The Moment

You did not expect this to be a good day. You spent yesterday feeling tired after a night of fitful and restless sleep.

Then you fell asleep last night with problems on your mind. Less than an hour after falling asleep you have a vivid and violent nightmare.

You dream you are walking through a quiet and sedate Midwest neighborhood with a friend who does not have a face. You walk along a street lined with old two story houses. The air is warm and the trees are in full bloom and shade you from the heat of the setting sun. A neighborhood gang, wildly dressed, appears in a driveway separating two houses. They beat your friend to death. You can do nothing to help him as you watch. You run away. A gun appears in your hand as you run. You want revenge. You turn and are about to shoot the first gang member who chases after you when the dream jolts you wide awake.

You feel your heart racing and pounding. You take your pulse. Your heart beats 150 times per minute.

You return to sleep. You sleep deeply until an hour before sunrise.

You start your day. You feel rested. Your mind works well. And you are not afraid. The world does not threaten you.

You live in the moment today almost impervious to the past and the future.

What more could you possibly ask for?

2 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Cuppa said...

Hi Lynn
It was nice to get your comment on my blog. Thanks for stopping by. I read your blog everytime I log in and am always pleased to see that you have written something new. I post many commetns, but I am a faithful reader.

Yes, I finally got Carver's book "All of Us" from the library and am enjoying my walk through it. I have four books on the go so I saunter this way and that in my reading. Carver's book is picked up more often than the others right now.

What was the first Carver poem you read? How were you introduced to him? What is/are your favorite poem/s?

I first collected a few of Carver's quotes from here and there, and read some of his short stories. I found one of his poems - "My Dad's Wallet" in another book and was deeply touched by it. You mentioned his collected works "All of us" and I am so glad you did. Radio Waves jumped off the page at me the last time I picked up the book and I continue to be moved by this man's writing in the middle of all his personal pain.

We have had a busy few days with company here at Riverwood, but we have the place all to ourselves again for this week, so we can settle back in to reading and writing. Pure joy!

I hope you are enjoying this wonderful autumn sunshine today. Take care.

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger pascal digital said...

You write well. Go on writing. Your Derrida-poem is touching. I'll come back.
You will not be able to read my blog (unless you know Dutch), but if you're interested in what I do, you can visit my photoblog: http://photoblog.be/pascaldigital - there you find literary quotes 'translated' by me in English
Take care, and vote well! We're anxious about that, here in Europe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home